tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 04 11:53:32 1997

Re: KGT confirmations

[email protected] on behalf of qoror wrote:
> ghItlh SuStel
> >In most cases, I believe the canon definition to be a good measure of
> >transitivity.  Not in every case.
>
> Well, things like {moH} and {bol} make absolutely no sense as taking an
> object; I won't say "transitive" here, because, as Krankor stated, it's
> likely a non-issue.  It would just be weird.  I think the topic here isn't
> transitivity, but sensibility.

Transitivity is indeed the issue.  ~mark's classic example is the verb {Qong}.
 How do we know that it can't take an object?  What if the object is the thing
you sleep on?  Or the length of time you sleep?

Similarly, before KGT, how would we know that {bol} cannot take an object?
Suppose its object was the body part that one's drool ended up on?  Or the
amount of saliva that one allowed to leave the mouth?

Now, of course, we get Okrand telling us flat out that a couple of verbs which
are defined in TKD with intransitive-seeming definitions do not take objects.
This does not prove my point conclusively, but it does support the idea that
the TKD definitions tend to be worded in such a way as to indicate what the
correct object, if any, should be.  (Notice that Okrand has been very careful
to continue to do this in KGT.)  There's also a structure in Esperanto which
would fit in nicely in Klingon were it allowed (I don't happen to remember
what it is; I don't study Esperanto), but the {moH} example shows that such a
rule could not be applied in the general case.  (It doesn't rule out
exceptions, but you cannot derive exceptions, and therefore cannot say what
they are.)

I happen to think Krankor is wrong: Klingon verbs DO have specific
transitivity.  Certain verbs CANNOT take objects, and certain others MUST take
them (there's at least one in KGT; I can't remember what it is right now, but
I'm pretty sure it's there), even if it's just "things in general."

Whether Klingon linguists care at all about actually classifying transitive
and intransitive verbs as such is something I can't speak to . . .

--
SuStel
Stardate 97676.5

Back to archive top level