tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 02 13:54:41 1997

Re: rIghwI'mey vIHoH

joel anderson wrote:
> Edy Fonseca wrote:
> > yabvaD Qujmey vImaS *'ej* burghvaD Qujmey.
> > (I prefer games for brain *instead* games for stomach)
>
> yabvaD Qujmey vImaS law' burghvaD Qujmey vImaS puS.

{yabvaD Qujmey vImaS} means "for my mind, I prefer games."
The first noun in a noun-noun construction cannot take a type-5
suffix, so we cannot use {*yabvaD Qujmey} to mean "games of the
mind."

A law'/puS construction requires a stative verb to be repeated.
{qaq} is the stative counterpart of {maS}:

jIHvaD yab Quj qaq law' burgh Quj qaq puS.

"For my purposes, games of the mind are preferable to games of the
stomach."

*Edy*, cha'chu'ta' mu'tlheghlIj.
Edy, your sentence paints the perfect picture.

Qov
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level