tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 02 10:42:05 1997

Re: Hoghvam vIttlhegh

[email protected] on behalf of [email protected] wrote:
> ghItlh Qermaq:
>
> >ghItlh bI'reng:
>
> >>jevpu'DI', mIghwI'pu' chaHHa'lu'pu', 'ach reH QamtaH quvlaHwI'pu'

> I trying to say "When the storm has passed, the evil ones are undone, but
the
> honorable ones are always standing." I was a little hesitant on using
> -chaHHa'lu'- but I think it works with one change: -chaHHa'moHlu'
>
> My reasoning:
> *chaH: they are* becomes *chaHHa': they are no more.* However, this has the
> idea that they undid their existence themselves, so I added *-lu'.* Of
course
> this makes no sense without the *-moH* which I accidently overlooked. But
now
> that I've written this, perhaps *lutaHHa'lu': they are discontiuned* would
> have been a better choice. It makes more sense and avoids the confusion of
my
> first choice.
>
> I still believe *chaHHa'moHlu'* works but is a bit strange.
>
> vuDmeyraj vIneH.

Ack.  No way.  Putting unusual suffixes on a pronoun is bad enough, but you're
*relying* on the suffix to do something it just wasn't intended to do.

What do you mean by "the evil ones are undone"?  Are they destroyed by the
storm?  Do they melt in water?  Were they defeated?  This is a case where a
poetic device in English, the vagueness of exactly what "undone" means in the
sentence, cannot be translated directly into Klingon.

--
SuStel
Stardate 97672.1

Back to archive top level