tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 01 21:31:45 1997

Re: be'nI'HeywIj

[email protected] on behalf of Qov wrote:
> At 11:02 PM 8/31/97 -0700, you wrote:

'Iv?

[...]
> >chuS'ughmey tawIj vI'IjtaHvIS tawij tIch be'nI'HeywIj.
> >When I listen to my *music* my apparent sister insults it.
[...]
> >Is there a word for music? I used musical recording( at least I think
> >that is what I used)
>
> According to this you were listening to a recording of the Klingon
> instruments called {chuS'ugh}.  As you want to just say recordings of music,
> the word for music is {QoQ}.

I've never been pleased with this use of {ta}.  For me, {ta} means things like
personel files or logged chat sessions.  It doesn't mean "recording," and it
doesn't mean "round vinyl thing with grooves" (remember those?).  Sure, a
recording is a record of music and how it was played, but I don't think that's
what {ta} is talking about.  Besides, in English you simply cannot use
"record" to refer to a recording of music without talking about the round
vinyl things, so there's no reason to assume that {ta} must be an
all-encompassing term for any kind of information storage.

I generally avoid worrying about the recording part (would that be
{qonpu'ghach}?) and just talk about the music itself.

--
SuStel
Stardate 97670.6

Back to archive top level