tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 31 20:00:49 1997

Re: KLBC: Top 10 Rejection Lines Given By Women

At 10:05 97-10-29 -0800, muHwI' wrote:
}Top 10 Rejection Lines Given By Women (and what they actually mean...)

tlhIngan Hol DabuSbe'choH 'ej qIDmeyHey DabuSchoH.  ghu'vammo' Sab HollIj.
}
}10. I think of you as a brother. (You remind me of that inbred banjo-playing
}geek in "Deliverance.")
}jIHvaD loDnI' SoH - ([...eh...vISovbe'])

}
}9. There's a slight difference in our ages. (You are one jurassic geezer.)
}loQ pIm *ages*wIj - (*jurassic* vavnI' SoH)

mu'mey Damugh 'ej qech Damughbe'.  veQvam DaDublaH.

}8. I'm not attracted to you in 'that' way. (You are the ugliest dork I've
}ever laid eyes upon.)

}qaparHa'chu'be'. (bImoH law' Hoch moH puS)

maj. {SoH moH law' Hoch moH puS} is the syntax called for by the formula.

}7. My life is too complicated right now. (I don't want you spending the whole
}night or else you may hear phone calls from all the other guys I'm seeing.)
}DaH yInwIj Qatlhqu'.

Object - Verb - Subject.  yItI'.

(jabbI''IDmey mungeH latlh loDpu' vIghombogh 'e'
}DaleghlaH vIneHbe')

puj 'ach mujbe'.

}6. I've got a boyfriend (who's really my male cat and a half gallon of Ben
}and Jerry's).
}loDnal vIghaj (targh ghaH 'ej what?)

Ben & Jerry's is a kind of American ice cream.

}5. I don't date men where I work. (Hey, bud, I wouldn't even date you if you
}were in the same 'solar system', much less the same building.)
}*vumbogh Daq* loDpu' vIghombe' (Hovtay'wIj DaDabchugh vIghomQo' je) (veeery
}loose translation)

DaH yIQeymoH.  The English is colloquial.  Expand it to its formal meaning
and translate what you get with proper Klingon grammar.  {vumbogh Daq} is
"the place that works"

}4. It's not you, it's me. (It's not me, it's you.)
}pIch Daghajbe', pIch vIghaj jIH. (pIch vIghajbe', pIch Daghaj SoH)

majQa'.  qech Damughchu'.

}3. I'm concentrating on my career. (Even something as boring and unfulfilling
}as my job is better than dating you.)
}*career*wIj vIbuStaH (vumtaH qaq law' qaghom qaq puS)

chaq: <Qu'wIj>.  I'm not so sure I like the direction you're stretching
{law'/puS}.  Maybe {SoH qaqelDI' muQuchmoHbe'bogh Qu'wIj Dal vImaS}

}2. I'm celibate. (I've sworn off only the men like you.)
}jI*celibate* (nIrurbogh loDpu' vI'Ip*off* (?))

yIbuDQo'.  mu'tay''e' yIlo'.

}..and the number 1 rejection line given by women (and what it actually
}means)
}1. Let's be friends. (I want you to stay around so I can tell you in
}excruciating detail about all the other men I meet and have sex with. It's
}that male perspective thing)
}juppu' maHjaj (jInga'chuqchugh qaja' vIneHmo' naDev yIratlhnIS)

I don't like the use of {-jaj} to translate "lets."  It's true that Klingon
seems to be missing this expression but perhaps Klingons don't offer such
things as suggestions but as demands.  {juppu' maH vIneH}  {jupwI' yIDa!}
Have another look at 4.2.1 and reconsider the verb prefix on {nga'chuq}. The
imperative and {-nIS} don't go together very well.  Either make the stament
that someone must do something, or give the order.  It's awkward to order
someone to be required.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level