tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 23 09:10:22 1997

Re: KBLC: ah-ha!

At 05:49 97-10-23 -0700, you wrote:
}ghItlh muHwI'
}>I've been thinking about this a lot, but if you say {HIja'} (tell me)
}>wouldn't "me" be the thing being told?
}>{lut vIja'} I tell a story  [story I-it tell]
}>{lut qaja'} I tell you a story  [story I-you tell]
}>{qaja'} I tell you  [I-you tell]
}>
}>eh... vISovbe' jIH
}
}We have numerous examples in TKD section 4 of the object of {ja'} is the
}person being addressed.  (Does this mean we have to say {lut jIja'}?  I
}hope not!)

We have absolutely nothing to support that idea.  The juxtaposed sentences
that show attributed speech are unique, and I would be very surprised to
find a similar construction for anything else.  It is possible that we say
{?lutvaD qaja'} maybe {lut DaQoymeH qaja'} I think we can say {lut vIja'}
but I've never spoken with a native on the subject.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level