tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 22 22:36:43 1997

Re: Romulan Empire: part one

At 12:55 97-10-20 PDT, ghItlh wrote:
}Here is the beginning of a story. Note: if anyone wants to recieve the rest
}of the story when I finish writing it, contact me and leave your e-mail.
}Also, if anyone can tranlsate this story into Romulan, Vulcan or another
}dialect of Klingon, contact me.
}
}Romulan Empire: part 1
}
}Derets is a Klingon
}Tort saw Derets
}Tort is a Romulan
}"Aefvadh!" said Tort
}"Qu'vatlh!" said Derets
}Tort shot Derets
}"Areinnye'nhnah!" said Tort
}"What the #$*@ is happening?" said Derets
}Tort killed Derets
}Tort stole Derets' weapons and armor
}Tort left Ragronk
}Tort attacked Kronos
}"Hna'h!" he said
}
}To be coninued....
}
}
}Klingon version:
}
}Deretlh ghaH tlhIngan'e'

Note that in the to be structure as well as other structures, the subject
goes last.   You've said "A Klingon is Deret."  Say {tlhIngan ghaH Deret'e'}

}Deretlh legh torIt
maj.

}torIt ghaH romoluSngan'e'
inverted, as explained above.

}torIt jatlh "Aefvadh!"

{jatlh torIt}  The subject always goes *after* the verb.  The thing said can
go before or after the {jatlh torIt}.

}Deretlh jatlh "Qu'vatlh!"
same comment

}Deretlh HoH torIt
maj

}torIt jatlh "Areinnye'nhnah!"
}Deretlh jatlh "qaStaH nuq jay'?"
same OVS (Object Verb Subject) problem

}Deretlh may'luch nIH torIt

may'luch = battle gear.  That's reasonble.

}raghroq DoH torIt

{DoH} is back away from.  Not the same connotation as "left." Look up
{tlheD} and {mej}.

}Qo'noS HIv torIt
maj.

}jatlhlu' "Hna'h!"

This says "'Fire' was said."  It indicates that someone said fire, but is
vague about the sayer. For "He said 'fire'," say {"Hna'h" jatlh}.  (For
those who don't speak Romulan, "H'nah" is Rihannsu for {baH}).

}To be continued....
}
}If anything in this story is spelled incorrecty or is translated
}improperly, then you may let me know. I will correct  it. Also: How do you
}say "to be continued" in Klingon?

What does it mean?  "<Some unspecified subject> will continue it"
{taHlu'}

I would prefer {taH lut}  "the story will continue" as clearer. We don't
know what Klingons say, but they would understand this.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level