tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 22 18:30:08 1997

Re: KLBC: More translation Sentences

Qov commented on my translation exercise:
> See also http://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/current/0341.html
> for mmy comments on someone else's try at these sentences.

vIlaDta'

> could also say:
>
> tIvamDaq yItlu'chugh Hatlu''a'

don't know why/how I missed the entry for "be illegal" when
I was lookin for it :-/

mu'ghomDaq "be illegal" vInejDI' vItu'be'. chay' vIqaS?
jIQIpba'

> I don't read {tuQHa'chu'} as naked.

... 'ach pagh tuQbej.

> }My self-built computer has been infected.
> }De'wI' vIchenmoHbogh ngejlu'.
>
> Might want the perfective here, a sentence set in the present about
> something already conpleted.

hmmm, I'm not sure. I think my sentence is - though not
explicitly - set in the past.

jIQoch. qaSpu' mu'tlheghvetlh vIqontaHvIS poH'e' vIbuSbogh.

> }It's tempting, isn't it? But you must not drink the water in the toilet.
> }bItlhu', qar'a'? 'ach puch bIQ yItlhultlhQo'!
>
> You're given a command when the original just states a rule.

I understand "must not" to be a command, although I understand
{-be'nIS} does the job as well.

ra'meH "must not" lo'lu' 'e' vIQub. 'ach Qap {-be'nIS} 'e' vIyaj.

/taking a break from exercising :)/

In your other response you mention that {puchDaq bIQ Datlhutlhbe'nIS}
preserves the ambiguity of the English

wouldn't that only be the case if {puchDaq} modified {bIQ}?
as SuStel explained to me that this is most probably not the case
(although this was before KGT) I can understand the above only as
"when in the toilet, you must not drink water"

/end of break/

> The {bo-} prefix is used when describing what multiple people are doing.
> You're just talking to the one Qermaq. {DabochmoH}.

HIqIp!

> The subject "you and our gang" is equivalent to you (plural): {Sutay'}, but

I remember thinking of it as being "they"...

"you and our gang" 'oS {chaH} 'e' vIQub 'e' vIqaw

> the original is "join" not "be together" so {mangghommaj Damuv DaneHchugh}.

a looong time ago, I was told (by charghwI', I believe) that {muv}
might refer to putting two things together (like welding) and that
I had better use "cause to be together" for this meaning.

mu'tlheghvetlh vImughQo'mo' machqu' mu'tlheghvam }:-}

> {SoH} and {bo-} conflict here.  Use either {SoH} and {Da-} or {tlhIH} and
> {bo-}.

HIqIpqa'!

HomDoq

Back to archive top level