tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 22 00:50:52 1997

Re: KBLC: ah-ha!

At 19:54 97-10-21 -0700, QatanI wrote:
}Qov,
}
}By Qov, I think i've got it... for example:
}
}nuqDaq yuch Dapol ?
}nuqDaq = what location = "where"
}yuch = chocolate
}Da = you * it
}pol = keep
}Dapol = you keep it
}
}"what location chocolate, you keep it?"
}or: "where do you keep the chocolate?"

majQa'!  Analyzing sentences like this is a very good way to learn.  Be
aware that we have the word {nuqDaq} and we know it means where, but we
can't use the fact that it seems to be composed of "what" and "location"
(or maybe "at what") to make up words like {*'IvDaq}.

}this breaks down into two parts: /where chocolate/ and /you keep it/

Actually, if you're going to divide it into to pieces, those pieces are:
"where" + "you keep the chocolate"  To say "Where do you keep the
chocolate?" in Klingon, you just put the word {nuqDaq} on the beginning of
the sentence {yuch Dapol}  "you keep the chocolate."

When {Dapol} is by itself it means "you keep it" but in the sentence {yuch
Dapol}, the word "it" is not in the translation.  It simply means "You keep
the chocolate.   The prefixx {Da-} is required whenever the object is
something that could be represented by "it," whether it is named or not.

}Therefore,  here's some originals...  Tell me what you think, Qov.
}
}nuqDaq 'oH juHlIj'e'  =  "Where is your home?"

pup.  majQa'.

}Now, here's the ones you gave me to try... (I think I already sent these
}once, I forget)
}
}"The Ferengi counts the money"   Huch toghlI' verengan
}                                          ( lI' = to indicate in the progress
}of ...)

The English sentence "The Ferengi counts the money" doesn't specify whether
the Ferengi always counts the money, counts it continually, or is in the
process of counting a given amount, at the time of the sentence.  Your
translation is not incorrect, but adds something that might not be what you
intended. Note that {Huch toghlI' verengan} could mean, "the F. was counting
the money"  "the F. counts the money" or "the F. will be counting the
money."  It definitely implies that there is a set amount of money to be
counted and the F. makes progress to count it.  It doesn't say anything
about when this activity takes place.

}"A daughter buys clothing."   Sut je'lI' puqbe'

Same comments on {-lI'}.  I would interpret this as meaning that there was
some known amount of clothing the daughter had to buy, or that she was in
the process of making one particular purchase transaction, that would become
completed.

}"The Klingon creates a blade"   Hehjej chenmoH tlhIngan

To say "sharp edge" say simply {HeH jej}.  Don't run them together.  You
weren't expected to be able to use a verb as an adjective for this sentence:
you could say {'etlh}.  Ho ever {HeH jej} sems understandable and you have
them in the right order.

}"The son uses the blade."  HeHjej lo' puqloD

maj. Same spacing comment.

}"The scientist reads the book."   paq laDwI' tej

I don't know why you've put {-wI'} on the verb.  {paq laD tej}.  Putting
{-wI'} on turns the verb into a noun.

}"Her husband drinks the solution."   taS tlhutlhlI' loDnal

The {-lI'} works well here, describing progress toards having drunk all the
solution.  You missed the concept of "her" hesband.  {loDnalDaj}

}	and two slightly harder ones:
}
}"I maintain the engines."  jIleH QuQmey

You have the "Object - Verb - Subject" order right everywhere but here.
Just a slip?  You also need to use the prefix that indicates "I - them" : {vI-}
{QuQmey vIleH}

}"My boss commands me."  mura' pIn

"my boss" so add the possessive suffix {-wI'} : {mura' pInwI'}

}nuq bIQub choja'

Tell me what you think? I'd say: {nuq DaQub?  HIja'}  "What do you think?
Tell me."  Notice the imperative prefix {HI-} (command, you - me).  Yes this
looks like the word "yes" but it isn't.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level