tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 15 12:35:02 1997

about -'e'

With all the other type 5 suffixes, the noun becomes an "extra" noun, and
cannot act as either (direct) object or subject. -'e' is weird, however.
A noun with -'e' can clearly act as object or subject, but I can't figure
out if it can be an "extra" noun also. I've looked through TKD, and it
doesn't look like it, but I'm not yet convinced. This brings up the
question of what the -'e' means when it is used on an extra noun.

I suggest that (if it is even possible) it could sometimes be translated
as "about". For example, the preferred way of saying "I dreamed about the
book" is <jInajtaHvIS, paq vIqel>. I suggest that if -'e' is allowed on
an "extra" noun, this could also be rendered <paq'e' jInaj>. <paq> is
clearly not the object of <naj>; it's just floating there.

This is likely just a pet theory of mine, and I would probably get blank
stares if I used such constructions. Opinions?

pagh

Back to archive top level