tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 15 05:25:08 1997

KLBC: Some phrases.

A frind of mine found this "Speak Icelandic like a Restless Native" page
on
the web ( http://www.saga.is/Netcafe/Iceland/Icelandic/index.html )
filled
with lots of exiting phrases in Icelandic. I tried translating a few of
them into klingon an here's the restult. Could you please point out any
errors I've might have done?

   I'm a forigner, but that's a long story.
   {jInov 'ach 'e' 'oH lut nI''e'.}

   I've got loads of money.
   {Huch law' vIghaj.} or perhaps {DeQ law' vIghaj.}
   (Don't know if one can use {law'} on "money".)

   You have beautiful eyes.
   {mInDu' 'IH Daghaj.}

   No is no answer.
   {xxx 'oHbe' <<ghobe'>>'e'}
   (Is there a word for "answer (n)"? I haven't got the KGT yet, perhaps
it
   was in there?)

   Where do I find the local dealer?
   (but it's more like "Where can I find a merchant around here?")
   {nuqDaq naDev Suy vItu'?}
   (Yeah, alright, so I know it lost something in translation, but I was
   wondering, can I have *both* {nuqDaq} and {naDev} in the same
sentence
   like this?)

   Where can I buy ten pairs of white socks?
   ("Where can I buy two times ten white socks.")
   {nuqDaq cha'logh wa'maH paSlogh chIS vIje'}
   (So this is might be a poor translation, but how do I say pair? Or
does
   paSlogh mean "a pair of socks"? TKD says only "socks" - but in
*plural*,
   how should one interpret that?)

   Where is the action?
   {nuqDaq vangtaHghach vItu'.}
   (Is there a noun meaning "action"? Have I used {ghach} correctly?)

   Do you accept VISA?
   {[VISA] Dalaj'a'?}

   Choose Klingon! (Popular booterism slogan)
   (Was of course "Choose Icelandic!")
   {tlhIngan yIwIv!}

   Kronos for Klingons. (Recist remark)
   {Qo'noSvaD tlhInganpu'!}

One more thing. I know that all adverbials can function alone as
excamations (TKD 5.4, last), but how about question words? Can *any*
simple
question word stand alone as a question (such as {'Iv} for "Who?" etc.).
CK MO himself user {'ar} that way, but does it apply to all of them?

/'eQ