tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 12 13:23:46 1997

Re: KLBC: Questions with -'e'-

Sun, 12 Oct 1997 Qov transmitted:

>Uh uh uh uh.  Type seven suffixes do NOT denote tense. If something
took
>place in the past and it is important that the reader understand it
took
>place in the past, say when it happened.  The action with a {-pu'} on
it
>took place no longer ago than the one without.  Klingon simply does not
have
>past tense.  Deal.
>

>Tense (which Klingon doesn't have) refers to the completion or
ongoingness
>of an action at the time the sentence is told.  Aspect refers to the
>completion or ongoingness in the context of the sentence.

yaj.  That's what I was trying to convey.  The aspect of completion in
regards to the officer's death.  I didn't want the sentence to imply
that the officer was on the floor agonizing over a long, painful death;
but that the sentence convey that it is a completed action (his death).

*Dawut*