tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 12 06:45:21 1997

Re: KLBC: Questions with <'e'>

ghItlh Qov:

>The word {'e'} is a pronoun and the object of the second sentence. I think
>in the example the 'stuff' was badly out of place. But I guess
>I can picture the word {'e'} topicalizing the previous sentence and having
>the 'stuff' come between {'e'} and the verb.

yabwIjDaq jIleghlaH... 'ej yabwIjDaq, 'I'wIjvo' puvtaHbogh targhmey'e'
vIlegh je! :o)

TDK p. 66 is clear. The 'e' goes with what follows, not what precedes, in a
sentence-as-object construction. It is the object of the second sentence's
verb. Perhaps 'e' also marks the preceding sentence like its homophonic
suffix, and perhaps canon appears to show that, but the rule is explicit
and does not support that. There's just no reason or benefit to that being
true, other than to correct what are apparently MO's errors.

IOW, adverbials, according to TDK p.55-57, usually precede the sentence
they modify; sentence-as-object structures have the 'e' (or net) as the
first word in the second sentence; vaj, *'e'* *net* ghap nung *adverbial*
reH 'e' vIpIH.

This brings up another question, actually - in that last sentence, reH
clearly modifies 'e' vIpIH - "I always expect it". But vaj modifies the
whole two-sentence construction! I don't think my usage caused anyone to
bat an eye, but it is...well, unique. And unaddressed in any of MO's
grammatical explanations AFAIK.

Hmmmm...

Qermaq

Back to archive top level