tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 12 01:35:55 1997

Re: More translation Sentences

At 12:47 97-10-11 -0700, Dawut wrote:
}Fri, 10 Oct 1997  Qermaq wrote:
}>These are for the intermediate Klingonist. I have made them a little
}bit
}>tricky. Some of these are Recasting 101 excercises. Therefore there are
}>occasionally various acceptable ways to say it - but Qov will be the
}sole arbiter.

As there isn't a sole acceptable way to recast sentences, and as I'm
answering KLBCs in reverse order without having read any of them, and as I'm
lazy, I won't yet give my translations.

}I am responding with my translations to test my abilities, and to offer
}some sentences which may reveal any problem areas with my compositions.
}(I am in training for the stories I plan to write in tlhIngan Hol.)
}{{>:-D        (a klingon smiley)
}
}>Is walking on this vegetation illegal?
}tIvamDaq mayItchugh vaj DIqoplu''a'? 	<or>

Tries to say "If we walk on this vegetation will we be arrested?" but you
messed up on the prefix on {qop}.  Third person *singular* object prefix: {wI-}.

}tIvamDaq mayIt Hat'a'?  		(not my first choice)

Two main verbs are trying to occupy one clause.  "We walk on this vegetation
is it illegal."  All verbs but one in a Klingon sentence need a type 9
suffix or to be joined by 'ej/qoj/pagh. (sentence as object count as two
sentences and stative verbs used as adjectives don't count for this accounting).

}>If you cannot communicate, how will you report?
}bIQumlaHbe'chugh vaj chay' bIja'.
maj.

}>Tomorrow we will have conquered Vulcan.
}wa'leS vulqan wIcharghpu'.
lugh.

}>The emperor thinks he has new clothes, but he is naked.
}Sut chu' tuQlI' 'e' Qub voDleH 'ach tuQbe' ghaH.
"The Emperor think he is wearing new clothing but he is not wearing them.

I don't think you've expressed the idea of nudity, and you've added to what
you've translated by saying he thinks he's *wearing* them.  True, it sounds
better that way in either language, but that's not what he said.

}>My self-built computer has been infected.
}vIchenmoHta' De'wI'wIjbogh ngejpu' rop.
}(I considered using the noun-noun construction {De'wI'rop} for "computer
}disease" or "comptuer virus", but decided against it.)

Hmmm, {-bogh} is a verb suffix.  {De'wI'} is a noun. I'll stop there, as I'm
not sure myself whether a self-built computer is one that I created or one
which created itself.

}>It's tempting, isn't it? But you must not drink the water in the
}toilet.
}bItlhu', qar'a'? 'ach puchDaq bIQ Datlhutlhbe'nIS.

lugh.  It has the same ambiguity as the English.  Does "drink the water in
the toilet" mean sit in the toilet and sip your Evian or slurp directly out
of the toilet bowl?  Clearer in both languages would be "... water out of
the toilet ..." and {... puchvo' bIQ ... }.

}>Silly Qermaq! You have again forgotten to shine your and *torgh's
}shoes.
}*torgh* waq waqlIj je DaboghmoH DalIjqa'pu'.  Dogh *Qermaq*.

"You have forgotten again to cause your and torgh's shoes to be born.
Qermaq is silly."

Doghbej Qermaq, 'ach mu'tlheghvetlh'e' Hechbe'.

}>You must be willing to give someone's arm a knife slash if you want to
}join
}>our little army.
}mangghomHommaj Damuv DaneH vaj DeS vay' Dape'nIS.

You left out {-chugh}, probably carelessness, and the idea of be willing.
That's a mean one, Qermaq!  Also, "someone's arm" is {vay' DeS}.

}>Look out! Can someone see you?
}yIqIm! Daleghlu''a'?
vIlaj.

}>Qov will correct your completed translation. (Yes, do this one too.)
}bIH chov Qov, mughghachwIj DarInmoHDI'.

A rule about {-ghach}.  We don't put it on a bare verb.  {mughghach} is like
"translatification."  There is a better way to say this sentence.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level