tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 08 01:45:39 1997

Re: KLBC: remaining and still

At 10:04 97-10-07 -0700, Mike Burrows wrote:
> Doch wa'DIch, muQaHta'mo' Qov vItlho' vIneH.
>
> - I think that makes sense......

"A first thing, because Qov has helped me, I want to thank her."

vIyaj, 'ej qaQaHta'mo' jIbel.

> I do have a question though.... I've been pondering the idea of =
> still.... and how would it be translated....

It's going to be translated differnt ways in differnt situations.
Sometimes you can use the verb {ratlh}.

> poH law' qaSpu'DI' SoHvaD tIqwIj Sabbe'
>
> Now this is how I'm thinking this is translated..... lit: when it =
> occurs much time my heart doesn't deteriorate for you.... or a
> better= trans. would be My heart still doesn't deteriorate for
> you...... do you = see what I'm getting at??

Not one hundred percent.  I assume this is a declaration of eternal
love, but it could mean that the speaker is trying to teach the
hearer to disintegrate his heart and it isn't working.  As in "My
grip still doesn't break for you, try the release again."  Don't
worry about the English word "still," and translate the meaning you are
going for.

{SoH vIqeltaHvIS not Sab tIqwIj} or perhaps the proverb from TKW, how
does it go? {bomDI' 'IwwIj qaqaw} I think.  If you're really
wondering about "still," give me some English sentences using still and
how you're trying to translate them.  If it's this statement that is
your main concern, explain it a little more.

> Oh and Qov the story behind my name is kind of funny.... it was
> back =before I started to really study tlhIngan Hol.... I was on a
> moo playing = a SuvwI' tlhIngan and I called myself DaQ'qan and by
> chance he had a = long poneytail running down his back.... so when
> I found out later that = DaQ qan was translated old poneytail I
> tough it was destiny.... at the = time also I was growing one of my
> own..... I know the ' throws it off = but I decided to keep it
> there..... I hope that is ok?

*That* is exactly why I so cautiously approached the subject of a
possible error in your name.  It's a great story, and I would never
try to get someone to change a name that had worked out so fatefully
well.  If Humans can be named Lloyd and John and Sean, there is room
for a Klingon named DaQ'qan.  I'm afraid when I attempt to say it, it
triggers my gag reflex, but such are the hazards of Klingon. :)

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level