tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 06 17:41:05 1997

tlhob

[email protected] on behalf of [email protected] wrote:
> DaH jIQochqu'
> nuvpu' ra'laH vay' 'ej Dochmey tlhob vay' 'e' vIHar
>
> I see {tlhob} as "ask for", not merely ask.  I feel {tlhob} works for
> ordering in a restaurant.  For "ask" we have {ghel}.  For "need, require,
> [demand]" we have {poQ}.  Of course, I am looking forward to MO canon to
> prove how we use these words.

Canon:

tlhob
ask (v)   (TKD 111)

tlhob
request, ask, plead (v)  (TKD 185)

lutlhob naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'
They ask him, "Can we get to the Great Hall from here?"  (PK, jokes, final
scene)

juDev 'ej Dujvam ra'wI' DagheS 'e' vItlhob
I ask you to lead us as commander of this ship.
Literally, "I request that you lead us and that you assume the duties of
commander of this ship."  (KGT 184)

See?  {tlhob} may be used as a verb of saying, with the person being asked as
the object, or it may be used normally, with the object being the action
requested.  Just as you can't say {paq vIQub} for "I think about the book,"
you cannot say {paq vItlhob} for "I ask for the book."

paq vIqel
paq vIpoQ
paq vIje' 'e' Dachaw' 'e' vItlhob  (this one is much too complicated to be
pleasant; why insist upon it?)

When in a restaurant, just say what you want.

'IwHIq vIneH.

(I honestly don't understand why people have such a problem with this idea!
There's just no need for a noun for "drink," and there's no need for a verb
"ask for [thing]."  Just tell the bartender what you want!)

SuStel
Stardate 97765.2

Back to archive top level