tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 05 12:22:10 1997

Re: KLI Merchants Page

[email protected] on behalf of [email protected] wrote:
> I prefer {paq vItlhobpu'}.  The word {ra'} means to command someone, I feel

Errr . . . I don't think this is how {tlhob} works.  You may "request" that an
action be performed {'e' vItlhob}, or you may even be able to use the person
being asked as the object.  However, {paq vItlhobpu'} seems to mean "I asked a
book," "I begged a book," "I requested something of a book."

> Also, I have determined and SuStel has backed this idea that {Dab}
translates
> as "live/reside/dwell in/at} and does not require a locative construction.

"YOU" have determined?  How about "KGT says so"?  This is already a cold, hard
fact.

>  Therefore, I say {Colorado vIDab}.  {Germany vIDabtaH} I also like very
much
> because I like the idea that {-taH} carries that the speaker continues to be
> there, not just for an instant.

{*Colorado* vIDab} doesn't necessarily imply that the habitation took place in
an instant.  It is simply neutral with respect to the aspect of the action.
It doesn't say if the inhabibation is ongoing or not, and it doesn't say if
it's completed or not.  It might be, it might not be.

SuStel
Stardate 97762.6

Back to archive top level