tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 03 12:09:07 1997

Re: KLBC ['avwI' qama' je]

At 10:29 97-10-03 -0700, Msala wrote:
}nuqneH Qov
}
}       1.   tlhIngan wo' !!!(Klingon Empire)

You bet! HoSghajbej wo'maj!  Our empire is definitely powerful.

}       2.   bIj   narghlah  qama'. (The Prisoner was punished.)

Actually, what you've written, if you capitalize the {H} in {narghlaH}, is
the correct Klingon for "The prisoner can escape the punishment."

{bIj} "punishment" + {nargh} "escape" + {-laH} "can/be able" + {qama'}
"prisoner."

Quite a sophisticated sentence.  To say "the prisoner was punished" you need
a new tool: the type 5 verb suffix {-lu'}.

{qama' bIj 'avwI'}  "The guard punished the prisoner."
{qama' bIj vay'} "Someone punished the prisoner."
{qama' bIjlu'} "[Some indefinite subject] punished the prisoner."  usually
translated as "The prisoner was punished."

You can put {-lu'} on a verb instead of giving the verb a subject when you
don't ant to specify anything about the person or thing performing the
action of the verb.  Sometimes you need to change the verb prefix to do
this, but not in this case.

}       3.   boq  tlhInganpu' suvwl'pu' moj , Hegh .(Klingons are born,
}            live as Warriors ,then die.

{bogh tlhInganpu', SuvwI'pu' moj, Hegh.}
That's from p. 5 in TKW.  Look it over again and note {bogh} not {boq} and
capital {S} and {I} not {l} in {SuvwI'}.  Did you look up all the words so
you know which part means what?

}Qov..I'm waiting til I see what my bills are for this month..and if All
}Goes Well...I plan to Order it this wk...(The KLD).

majQa'!  DaSuqDI' ngeDchoH tlhIngan Hol.
Right on!  When you get it, Klingon will get easier.

}I couldn't Find the Klingon Word for "Give , Gave,Given"..would U help

The verb "give" is {nob}.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level