tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 02 15:16:22 1997

Some more puns

        qoror here.  Here's a few puns you probably noticed years ago, and
two I'm sure you never noticed.
        The first few: the verb {jaw} (as in "jaw away"), {jIH} (like
German "ich"), and {He}.  I think that in Chinese, "he" means "river."  I
know absolutely no Chinese, but I noticed that from "Huang He," "Yellow
River."  If it hadn't been capitalized I probably wouldn't have noticed it.
        Now two you haven't noticed:  {Hew} is undoubtedly from our verb
"hew," and one that personally convinces me that this man has no shame.  We
just discovered that {natlh} is slang for "be disgusting, reprehensible."
Have you ever noticed that "consume, use up" resembles "suck"?
Qapla'
qoror

Back to archive top level