tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 01 19:03:55 1997

Re: KLBC [M'Sala]

At 12:22 97-10-01 -0700, Brenda wrote:
}I will Reply when I get My KLD...I don't have one at this Time..except
}the One I made using the Online KLD...Til I do...I WILL NOT Respond any
}more to These Emails.....I will continue Receiving them however as I DO
}learn from them...Qov..I Apologize for "Wasting your Time"..

Ack! You're not wasting my time!  Let me explain why I asked you to
translate those sentences.  It was NOT a brush off.  When I saw the strange
words, the ones I called "Paramount Hol," and some other clues, I guessed
that the Klingon you know is mostly memorized phrases. To expand your
Klingon speaking ability, I have to make sure you can create your own
phrases, and recognize which ones are real tlhIngan Hol, when you see them.
I know that when a person doesn't speak Klingon well yet, it's hard to know
what is an easy thing to try to write, so I suggested some easy sentences.

TKD is an essential resource here, reading the group without having TKD is a
bit like reading the footnotes without reading the work they pertain to.
Interesting and you'll probably learn some things, but you won't get the
whole picture.  I can't think of what you can work on before you have TKD,
maybe someone else can suggest something.

There is *nothing* wrong with memorized phrases, by the way, in fact I
encourage all learners to memorize proverbs, examples and phrases from the
TKD appendix. That gives you a small repertoire of phrases that you *know*
are correct Klingon, against which you can check sentences you make up
yourself.  And if called on to speak Klingon to people who don't understand
the language, you can just babble your memorized phrases, and they will be
very impressed.  Hey, Marc Okrand has done it.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level