tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 29 15:32:00 1997

Re: Noun-noun with {'e'}

ghItlh Qov
>}Can someone tell me why I shouldn't use {'e'} as the first noun of a pair
>}of nouns in this way?  This is scaring me; the longer I look at it, the
>}more I think it works.  I'm not going to run with it just yet; I'll wait
>}for somebody to point out the obvious reason for it's being wrong. :-)
>}The week is not yet finished, and I really didn't want to get into a big
>}debate over yet another topic at the frontier of Klingon grammar...
>
>For one, {'e'} is a pronoun, and pronouns are only used in possessives
when
>it's a noun of proximity.  'ej vIpar jIH.  DujwIj Davoq'a' :)

And because, to quote Krankor (if I remember it correctly): "{'e'} is
explicitly listed under the section of "Sentences as objects."  We should
not assume, without clearer evidence from canon, that it can be used for
Sentences as subjects."  This usage isn't a subject, but it's something
other than direct object.  (That *is* an interesting question.  In {vaj Duj
chIj} is {vaj} the object?  This doesn't seem right; could someone give a
clear argument to disprove it?)  But *I* do believe that you can say
{'e''e' vISov!}  "I know *that*!"
Qapla'
qoror

Back to archive top level