tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 27 13:03:15 1997

Re: north, south, east, west and distances

At 08:01 97-11-27 -0800, you wrote:
}In a message dated 97-11-27 05:28:42 EST, Qov answers Phillipe Lavoie:
}
}<< <somewhere>Daq So' Ha'DIbaHmey.
}
} "The animals hide somewhere." >>
}
}----------------peHruS here----------------
}
}Just an addition.  TKD includes a word I haven't had enough chance to use
}yet.  It is {vogh}, and it means "somewhere"; it is a noun.
}
}voghDaq So' Ha'DIbaHmey

I said <somewhere> because the way to express the location was under
discussion and I wanted to elide it for a moment.  I would have written
*somewhere* had I thought we had no word for it. Qovian notation. :)  I
first remembered {vogh} because I figured if your fashions made it onto the
cover of Vogue you were really getting somewhere as a fashion designer. :)

}--------------------------------QovvaD----------------------
}mu' {voghDaq} 'emDaq 'oHtaHbogh mojaQ {-Daq} vInge'laH'a'
}laHbe' 'e' vIpIH

vogh SuD chalmey
Somewhere skies are blue.

I would have said don't use -Daq on nouns that would rarely if ever make
sense without the locative idea, but TKD seems pretty clear that it is those
three nouns, and doesn't seem to be giving them as examples.  I'm unlikely
to say either is wrong.

wISovbejbe'.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian