tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 27 04:46:14 1997

Re: Translating

In a message dated 97-11-24 11:51:54 EST, ~mark writes:

<< Personally, I rather like keeping the Bible translation more on the
 Literalist track, since after all, the Bible really isn't culturally very
 Klingon, and to make it so seems like mutating it out of what it is.  I
 really like the idea of a scholarly, and not religious, treatment and
 translation of that text.  Some of this may be ue to the fact that I am
 Jewish, and the idea of translating the Bible into a tool of missionarism
 runs counter to my own religion, and generally seems overly Christian and
 not conducive to religious pluralism.  That's just me, though.  However, I
 also rather like the Idiomist approach to Shakespeare, if only because we
 have the conceit from the movie that the plays were "originally" Klingon.
 I don't see much conflict with the inconsistency of treating one text one
 way and another another way, myself, but I imagine some do. >>

ghItlh peHruS:

jIQochbe'
tlhInganpu'vaD *literature* neH 'oH *Bible*'e'
I am not trying to convert Klingons to a Terran belief pattern.
'ach *yID* jIH je

Back to archive top level