tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 27 01:10:04 1997

Re: [proposal] translation for directions.

At 17:28 97-11-26 -0800, Phil wrote:

}jajlo' lurgh       -> the direction of the dawn
}ram choS lurgh     -> the direction of the night's twilight
}pem bIr Hov lurgh  -> the direction of the cold daytime's star
}peQ chem lurgh     -> the direction of the magnetic field
}
}I don't understand the last two.

Where I live, in the winter the sun describes an arc across the southern sky
during the day.  (I wrote this rather egocentrically.  For those who live
south of me this phenomenon is less pronounced, and for those who live in
the southern hemisphere it's meaningless.)  Thus the direction of the cold
daytime's star is south.

A compass points north because its magnetized needle aligns with the Earth's
magnetic field. I don't know which direction Klingon physics conventions
would define the magnetic field as running, though: towards or away from
magnetic north.

}Thanks for the help. I hope I'll be a good student.

batlh bIghojlaw'.

}PS How would Phil  or Philippe be translated in Klingon ?

Grin.  Everyone has to ask. See:
http://labs.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm#2.3

There being no cultural background in common, names don't translate between
the cultures in the way John/Johan/Juan do on Earth.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level