tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 27 01:09:39 1997

Re: lu- (KLBC)

At 16:52 97-11-24 -0800, HovqIj wrote:
}Qov wrote:

}> For practice, rewrite these sentences so they have the same object,
}> but an indefinite subject, using {-lu'}.  Careful! I've included some
}> trick ones.
}>
}> DuparHa' vay'.
}> nIbejlaw' nuvpu'.
}> vay' luleghbej.
}> lIqopta' vay'
}> chaH HoHnIS vay'
}> megh neHqu' vay'
}> 'uQ vutlaH vay'
}> De'wI' tI'lI' vay'
}> veS tIvbe'law'taH roghvaH
}> muQopmoH Qu'
}
}OK. I tried it:

majQa'.  Watch in every case that you shift for the letter {H}.  It makes me
misread it as a mistyped {ch} or {gh}.

}Duparha' vay' => Daparha'lu'

}nIbejlaw' nuvpu' => Dabejlu'law'

maj.

}vay' luleghbej => vay' leghbejlu'

-lu' is type 5 -bej is type 6: leghlu'bej

}lIqopta' vay' => boqoplu'ta'

maj.

}chaH HoHnIS vay' => luHoHnISlu'

qar.

}megh neHqu' vay' => megh neHqu'lu'

qar.

}'uQ vutlaH vay' => <-laH> and <-lu'> can't be used on one word

maj.  To make this one passive voice (or for those ho don't like that term,
to give it a indefinite subject) say something like {'uQ vut net ta'laH}.

}De'wI' tI'lI' vay' => De'wI' tI'lu'lI'

maj.

}veS tIvbe'law'taH roghvaH => I wouldn't use <lu'> here 'cause it would
change }the
}sense of the sentence a bit. But I think it would be <veS tIvlu'be'law'taH>. I
}like this better than <veS tIvbe'lu'law'taH> for (at least in my beginner's
}opinion) it indicates rather that *no one* is enjoying the war than a special
}*someone*.

I would leave the -be' on the verb stem.  The thing that is negated is
enjoyment. You're saying "one did not enjoy" not ... I can't even think what
{-lu'be'} would mean.

}muQopmoH Qu' => >I wouldn't use <-lu'> here either, for the same reason as
}above.
}If I did use it, it would probably be <vIQopmoHlu'>

maj.

}I hope it's not all wrong.

Not at all.  You seem to understand this pretty well.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level