tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 24 00:42:57 1997

Re: squadron officers

At least, DloraH has the English concepts right.  peHruS

<< > >1) Two squadrons of officers entered the restaurant.
 > >2) Two squadron officers entered the restaurant.
 > >3) The officers of two squadrons entered the restaurant.

 I do not agree with all the corrections that I have read about the use of
 the word squadron and the difficulty of writing these sentances.  I am in
 the military and to me these sentances are clear and understandable.
 This in no way fits "two volts of water".

 #1 may be vague, but it applies.
 #2 normally they would be more than just officers, but it is possible to
 have a squadron of just officers.

 -two squadrons of officers - two squadrons containing just officers.  How
 many officers, we don't know, but there are two squadrons.
 -two squadron officers - two officers from one squadron.  which squadron?
 Their squadron designation was not givin; probably refering to the squadron
 that the speaker belongs to.
 -the officers of two squadrons - we don't know how many officers, but they
 come from two squadrons (and as you mentioned, these squadrons could contain
 enlisted soldiers as well).

 definition #2 - a military unit; a group of soldiers assigned to one place.
 Ok, replace squadron with starship:

 -two starships of officers - two starships containing just officers.  How
 many officers, we don't know, but there are two starships.
 -two starship officers - two officers from one starship.  Which starship?
 Their starship designation was not givin; probably refering to the starship
 that the speaker belongs to.
 -the officers of two starships - we don't know how many officers, but they
 come from two starships (and as you mentioned, these starships could contain
 enlisted crew as well).

 DloraH

Back to archive top level