tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 23 21:24:44 1997

Re: squadron officers

>...None of these definitions leave open a reasonable definition by
>which one could talk about two squadrons of officers. A squadron
>is simply not a unit of measurement for officers. You might as
>well talk about two volts of water.

> >1) Two squadrons of officers entered the restaurant.
> >2) Two squadron officers entered the restaurant.
> >3) The officers of two squadrons entered the restaurant.

I do not agree with all the corrections that I have read about the use of
the word squadron and the difficulty of writing these sentances.  I am in
the military and to me these sentances are clear and understandable.
This in no way fits "two volts of water".

#1 may be vague, but it applies.
#2 normally they would be more than just officers, but it is possible to
have a squadron of just officers.

-two squadrons of officers - two squadrons containing just officers.  How
many officers, we don't know, but there are two squadrons.
-two squadron officers - two officers from one squadron.  which squadron?
Their squadron designation was not givin; probably refering to the squadron
that the speaker belongs to.
-the officers of two squadrons - we don't know how many officers, but they
come from two squadrons (and as you mentioned, these squadrons could contain
enlisted soldiers as well).

definition #2 - a military unit; a group of soldiers assigned to one place.
Ok, replace squadron with starship:

-two starships of officers - two starships containing just officers.  How
many officers, we don't know, but there are two starships.
-two starship officers - two officers from one starship.  Which starship?
Their starship designation was not givin; probably refering to the starship
that the speaker belongs to.
-the officers of two starships - we don't know how many officers, but they
come from two starships (and as you mentioned, these starships could contain
enlisted crew as well).

DloraH

Back to archive top level