tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 22 12:07:42 1997

Re: double-booking of suffix positions

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony.Appleyard <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Saturday, November 22, 1997 10:58 AM
Subject: double-booking of suffix positions

>I am not the only one to complain about restrictions: ref. some of the
>articles in HolQeD when Marc Okrand suddenly put -ghach on a short tether
when
>it looked like being useful in many constructions.

What I cannot understand is why you feel it is necessary to complain about
*anything*.  This is an artificial language based upon a fictional culture,
and it's here for us to have fun with it.  Okrand decided to treat this
language as if it were real, and as if we had limited access to it (i.e., he
created a convenient and useful reason as to why he is the one who is able
to present Klingon to us).  To truly enjoy using this language, it's
important that we respect this fiction, and not go trying to influence it.
You must imagine taking one of your arguments, and presenting it to a
Klingon grammarian.  If you would offend his honor with your complaints
(whaddya mean, we don't use {-ghach} enough?!?) you're not doing anything
useful.  If, on the other hand, you would give him food for thought or a
chance to confirm or deny certain theories (yes, you've got it: quotations
are not the objects of verbs of saying; no, no, you ARE sometimes allowed to
indicate what you Earthers call an indirect object with the verb prefix),
then you're doing just fine.

Stop complaining.  Stop thinking about what Klingon cannot do, and start
thinking about what it *can* do.  What exactly is your *point* in
complaining, anyway?

SuStel
Stardate 97894.1

Back to archive top level