tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 22 11:54:43 1997

De' chu' chuvmey je

>From lawrence  Sat Nov 22 11:34:20 1997
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 14:50:49 -0400
From: "Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen" <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: De chu chuvmey je

1> I've sent out letters to about two hundred KLI members (past and
current) living within a "reasonable" driving distance of the December
13th qepHom.  The event is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m., but if you
want to show up earlier, that's fine too.  I should be on site by 11:00
a.m.  Also, if you are coming, please drop me a private note
([email protected]) to let me know.

2> I recently wrote an article for TROLL MAGAZINE, a gamer's magazine.
The article was intended as a very mild and humorous introduction to
Klingon language for gamers.  The editor should be including the URL for
the KLI's website, so we may even pick up some new folks on the mailing
list.  I believe the issue with my article went to press this weekend,
so presumably it should be available shortly.

3> Author Jeff Greenwald interviewed me in New York (in a kosher deli,
if you're interested) some months ago.  The KLI should be getting a
chapter in his upcoming book on some of the more curious consequences of
the Star Trek phenomenon.  Jeff also turned the interview into a
separate article which he sold to American Airlines.  The airline
finally has gotten around to using it (I was on the phone with their
"fact checker" earlier in the week) and it will appear in the onboard
magazine beginning January 1, 1998.  If you're flying American Airlines
in January, do look for the article (and grab a few copies of the
magazine!).

4> Last weekend I attended the annual Philadelphia Science Fiction
convention (Philcon).  On Sunday I wandered into the hotel restaurant
intending to get some lunch.  A woman walked up to me, called me by
name, and introduced herself as Liz Braswell.  Some of you will remember
Liz as the Associate Producer on Simon & Schuster Interactive's STAR
TREK: KLINGON CD-ROM.  Liz is now a full producer, and she invited me to
have lunch with her and Scott Shannon, the Star Trek director for Pocket
Books.  It was a very pleasant meal with much conversation.  Scott
seemed genuinely interested in getting the KLI more involved in some
projects for Pocket Books, and I assured him we shared that interest,
providing it didn't step on Marc Okrand's toes.  We kicked around some
possible projects and left the door open for future discussions.  This
has some real potential, and moves us closer to setting some precedents
and getting clearance for such things as operas and much else.  I
promise to present more information in this vein as it comes to pass.
But, all in all, a very nice sign.

5> I have been asked to write a short article (under 3000 words) for
SPECULATIONS, a bimonthly periodical for writers of science fiction.  The
topic of my piece is "how to" make up an alien language."  This should be
fun, though I probably shouldn't bias it too much toward Klingon.

6> FIVE RINGS, a gaming company in Washington, is licensed to do a Star
Trek "Dice Game."  They're putting out two new "ships" in the game, one
of which is a Klingon vessel.  They contacted me for some Klingon
phrases which they wanted to include in the instruction booklet that you
get with the game.  Alan Anderson, Will Martin, and David Trimboli provided
assistance with this, and our work has been sent into the folks at Five
Rings.  As I understand it, they're hoping to have the new ships/dice
available in time for holiday sales, so watch for them soon.

7> The "restoration" of MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING has been delayed.  The
translation is completely done, and all that remains is some finishing the
introduction, completing the layout, and a final proofing. I must take full
blame for the hold-up, but I hope to get things back on track in the coming
months.  The book manufacturer we used for HAMLET is currently backed up
quite a  bit anyway, but the book will be completed and available before
too much longer.

8> The third issue of jatmey is now complete and ready to go to press.
This is a truly amazing feat, and much praise and kudos should be directed
to Bart Barker who handled the editing for this year's issue.  If you
*really* want to thank him for his hard work, do some original writing in
Klingon yourself!

9> The most exciting news I can pass along at this time is from Marvel
Comics.  Chris Cooper, the writer for Marvel's STAR TREK ACADEMY comic
book, contacted me some weeks ago about an idea he had.  Chris will be
writing a two part story involving some Klingon cadets, and the first half
of this story is told entirely from the Klingons' point of view.  He
convinced the powers at Marvel that publishing this first half entirely in
tlhIngan Hol would be a good idea, and they have agreed.  We are currently
about a quarter of the way into the script for the issue, and things seem
to be going along nicely.  Most of the translation work is being handled by
Alan Anderson and David Trimboli; most of what I'm doing is some final
editing on the translation, and explaining strange bits of Klingon lore and
grammar to Chris at Marvel.  This comic will of course not be on the stands
for several months yet, but it is nonetheless quite a fun project.  And, as
a show of their appreciation, Marvel Comics will be making a cash
contribution to the KLI.

And that's all the news!  I hope to see many of you at the qepHom I'm
hosting next month.

taHjaj wo',

Lawrence

--
:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::
:: The Klingon Language Institute   :: tax exempt corporation ::
:: POB 634, Flourtown, PA 19031 USA :: DaH HuchlIj'e' ghonob  ::
::  [email protected]  :: http://www.kli.org ::  215/836-4955  ::

Back to archive top level