tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 22 10:24:33 1997

Re: -- No Subject --

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 22:44:00 -0800 (PST) [email protected]
wrote:

>  12:49:14 EST, charghwI' answers peHruS' challenge
> regarding number in measurements:
>
> << > DaH qaqaD:  chay' "we have one half cup of bloodwine" "we have one and a
> half
>  > cups of bloodwine" je DImugh?  rapbe', qar'a'?
>
>  wa'maH chavatlhvI' tlho'ren muq 'IwHIqmaj.
>  wejmaH SochvatlhvI' tlho'ren muq 'IwHIqmaj.
>
>  > peHruS
>
>  charghwI'
>   >>

> Thanks.  The above may work for these two sentences.  I'm going to expand the
> challenge.
>
> Translate:
>
> 1)  Two squadrons of officers entered the restaurant.

Well, the problem here is that "squadron" is not really a very
precise unit of measurement. My Oxford Encyclopedi English
Dictionary defines a squadron as:

1. An organized body of persons. [This is somewhat vague for
your intended meaning.]

2. a principal division of a cavalry regiment or armoured
formation consisting of two troops. [One would expect this to
include more than just officers.]

3. a detachment of warships employed on a particular duty. [That
really doesn't work in this setting at all.]

4. a unit of the Roal Air Force with 10 to 18 aircraft. [Not
really applicable here.]

None of these definitions leave open a reasonable definition by
which one could talk about two squadrons of officers. A squadron
is simply not a unit of measurement for officers. You might as
well talk about two volts of water.

> 2)  Two squadron officers entered the restaurant.

Qe' 'el nawlogh jeSbogh cha' yaS'e'.

> 3)  The officers of two squadrons entered the restaurant.

Qe' 'el cha' nawlogh pIm jeSbogh Hoch yaSpu''e'.

> peHruS

charghwI'

Back to archive top level