tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 21 20:25:08 1997

Re: priceless (was: Re: KLBC: names)

At 06:01 97-11-21 -0800, charghwI' wrote:
}This whole {-lu'wI'} idea was mine. I thought it was a good one,
}but listening to the confused responses it drew, I've come to
}agree that it doesn't seem to work. I did mention it on the MSN
}group which Okrand supposedly monitors, but I'm not exactly
}holding my breath.
}
}Anyway, unless Okrand ever returns to that list and finds the
}idea interesting enough to validate it, I give up on it. I don't
}intend to use it. People didn't understand it and I can see why.
}I choose to agree with those who don't like it.
}
}My goal is communication and this one didn't communicate. Please
}allow it to die without excessive bruises to the ribs from
}excessive kicking after the vital signs are gone.

FWIW I'd understand {-lu'wI'} as follows:

ghIjlu'wI'pu' - frightened ones
choHlu'pu'wI' - the one that has been changed
ghunlu'wI' - the one that gets programmed
qImHa'taHwI'pu' - the ones who aren't paying any attention

}>   "William H. Martin" <[email protected]> wrote:-
}> > [for "priceless" try:-]
}> > ngev - He sells it
}> > ngevlu' - one sells it
}> > ngevlu'Qo' - one refuses to sell it
}> > ngevlu'Qo'wI' - one which one refuses to sell

I'd say "the one that won't be sold" or "the one they won't sell."

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level