tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 20 22:31:54 1997

Re: KLBC [Msala bang]

MSala sends:

>1. jupwI' soH ( You are My Friend)

maj.  Don't forget capital {S} on {SoH}.  I think there is a misprint
in the book.

>2. jupwI' Dawut ( Dawut's my Friend )

I've corrected a very similar sentence of yours before. I'm not sure
if I didn't explain it so it made sense to you, or if you just
forgot.  So I'll try to make it clearer, and then give you some
practice exercises to help you remember.

Here's how I explained before ...
>} 2. lol'Dnal RakTal (RakTal is my Husband)
>
>To say "thing 1 is thing 2" in Klingon we use a special
>construction.

>loDnalwI' ghaH Raktal'e'.
>
>Notice the correct spelling of {loDnal} and the suffix {-wI'} to
>indicate "my husband" and not just "husband."

I'll give some more examples and then explain more thoroughly.

vulqangan ghaH - he is a Vulcan
vulqangan ghaH *Spock*'e' - Spock is a Vulcan
Qapla' 'oH yay'e' - victory is success
'etlh 'oH - it is a sword
'etlh 'oH betleH'e' - a betleH is a sword
lommey chaH - they are corpses

To say that thing #1 "is" thing #2, you must use the pronoun
representing thing #1.  A pronoun is one of the words {jIH, SoH,
ghaH, 'oH, maH, tlhIH, bIH, chaH}. Read which means what at the beginning
of chapter 5 of TKD.  Choose the right pronoun, and then write your
sentence.

For example, lets say: "My friend is a soldier"

my friend - thing #1 - jupwI'
soldier - thing #2 - mang

The pronoun for my friend is {ghaH}, because "my friend" is "he" or
"she."  So fitting the words into the formula:

<thing#2> <pronoun> <thing#1>'e'

We get:

mang ghaH jupwI''e'
My friend is a soldier.

That's the way to say it, just because that's how Klingons say it.
Just memorize it.

And say:

jupwI' ghaH Dawut'e'
Dawut is my friend.

Maybe you can remember it better by thinking that you must say
"Dawut, he's my friend."

Try:
It is a rock.
She is a teacher.
They are Ferengi.
Nog is a Ferengi.
A targ is an animal.
It is a targ.
You are clever.
We are Klingons.
Msala is a Klingon.
You are warriors.
A tricorder is a device.

The above are all pronoun-as-'to be' sentences, with one trick
question to make sure you stay awake.

>3. Dawut jI lol'Dnal neH ( I want Dawut as My Mate )

Careful.  The prefix {jI-} can only be used as a prefix, that is
attached to the front of a verb.  In this case the prefix you should
use is not {jI-} but {vI-} because you want something specific:
Dawut.

The simples way to say this, in OVS order, is:

Dawut vIneH
I want Dawut

{Dawut} is the object --grammatically only.  He may object to other
sorts of objectification :)
{vIneH} "I want [him]" is the verb

More complex:
loDnalwI' moj Dawut vIneH
I want Dawut to become my mate.

loDnalwI' "mate" (watch spelling)  "my mate"
moj "becomes"
Dawut (subject of first sentence)
vIneH "I want it"

>Msala bang Dawut

{bang} is a noun meaning love, as in "my love."  It's not a verb.

BTW: Please put something else on the line with the letters KLBC in
your subjects.  My mail reader sometimes gets confused when a lot of
messages have exactly the same subject, and it is hard for other
people to follow the thread.

Back to archive top level