tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 19 18:37:12 1997

Re: 'Iv qeylIS betleH chenmoHlu'?

ja' "Anthony.Appleyard" <[email protected]>
>> jIb woDbe' qeylIS.  vaHbo'Daq lanqu'. ...  [and elsewhere]
>  I wanted a word for "throw" without preposition, but I could not find one.

<vo'> <baH> <jaD> joq yIqel.  'ach mujbej qechvam'e'.
mIw QIjta' qeylIS:

  betleH chenmoHmeH qeylIS, jIbDIj 'ay' tlhap 'ej vaHbo'Daq chagh.
  meQtaHbogh jIb lel 'ej ngengDaq lan.  'etlh moj jIb.  molor mIgh
  HoHchu'qu'DI' qeylIS, 'etlhvaD <batlh 'etlh> pong.

baS lo'be'.  tetpu'bogh nagh lo'be'.  jIb lo'.

>> DIp 'oH'a' "splatter"-vam'e'?
>  HIja'

vaj jIHvaD mu'vam DaQIjnIS.  tlhach mu' rur.

>  TKD says that {tlhuD} = "emit (energy / radiation / etc)". Can it be used
>for ejecting material objects?

After you have considered energy and radiation, what sort of "etc." is left
except material objects? :-)

>> ... <ja'chuqlu'> vIlaD ...  jIyajbe'.
>  In TKD {ja'chuq} = "to discuss": "It is the geologists' business that this
>strange idea is discussed".

No wonder I had problems with this.  In addition to treating {ja'chuq} as a
standalone transitive verb, you're trying to translate directly a sentence
with an "it is...that..." structure, and that doesn't fit Klingon grammar.
I'd say it much more simply:  {qechvam Huj luqelnIS yuQ tej'e'}.

TKD gives {ja'chuq} as "discuss, confer".  I've always understood the idea
to be simply "tell each other", which goes along with the "confer" meaning
perfectly, as well as the "discuss" idea as long as you don't try to make
it "discuss (a topic)".

I also don't think {malja'} fits the kind of "business" you want here, but
I'm not going to argue *too* hard about vocabulary when there's so much to
worry about grammatically.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level