tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 19 02:50:39 1997

Re: Question as object

>>The construction is very, very weird to English-speaking minds.  But it is
>>not nonsense to Klingon minds.  There are two separate sections in TKD,
>>Relative Clauses and Sentences as Objects.
>>
>Qapla'
>qoror

I hope I'm not getting the original message completely wrong, but I refuse to
admit that the "sentence as object" way of thinking is weird to
English-speaking
minds. I think there are constructs which come close to it. I usually take the
two following sentences as a guideline for myself: :)

    "I haven't been here yesterday. Are you aware of that <fact>?"  and
    "Are you aware of _the fact that_ I haven't been here yesterday?"

Those two pretty much releflect the pendant to 'e' in the English language
for me, except that the object comes last in the sentence so the word
which refers on what's said directly before doesn't actually "link" those two
sentences.

Please tell me if I'm making no sense, it's very early in the morning yet :)

po' chen jIvemDI'.

QetlhIS

Back to archive top level