tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 18 17:22:39 1997

Re: How are you

Qov wrote:
> So the correct translation of "how are you" used as
> part of a greeting, is to say nothing.

A human, with his translator meets a Klingon with a translation
implant (mughwI') that tells her the cultural rather than literal
meanings of English phrases:

Human> Hello!
mughwI'> majatlh vIneH
tlhIngan> nuqneH?
translator> The Klingon says Hello
Human> How are you?
mughwI'> <nothing>
tlhIngan> nuqneH?!
translator> The Klingon says Fine thank you, and you?
Human> Good. Good.  I'd like to talk to you.
mughwI'> maj.  maj. majatlh vIneH
tlhIngan> HIjatlh jay'.
translator> She says "Yes," very emphatically.
Human> I was wondering if you could do me a favour?
mughwI'> vay' vIneH
tlhIngan> HIja'!  nuq DaneH jay'?
translator> Yes, what can I do for you?
Human> May I get my picture taken with you?
mughwI'> matay'taHvIS vIqonlu' 'e' Dachaw''a'?
tlhIngan> HIja'.
translator> She said "you tell me."
Human> <hesitates>
The Klingon takes the camera, knocks the Human down, plants her boot
on his head, snaps a picture and hands the camera back to the
translator, before walking off.
Human> Thank you.
mughwI'> <nothing>
translator> Klingons are like that sometimes.  It's just their way.

- Qov

Back to archive top level