tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 18 15:30:20 1997

KLBC: QAO lut

lut
A Story

pa'Daq chaHtaH cha' tlhIngan.
Two Klingons are in a room.

'el tlhIngan wejDIch.
A third Klingon enters.

<nuqneH!> jatlh tlhIngan wejDIch.
"Hello!" says the third Klingon.

<yIjatlh!> ra' tlhIngan wa'DIch.
"Speak!" orders the first Klingon.

<qatlh SuD chal 'e' vISov vIneH,> jatlh tlhIngan wejDIch.
"I want to know that why is the sky blue?," says the third Klingon.

<nuqjatlh!?> tlhob tlhIngan wa'DIch.
"What!?" asks the first Klingon.

<qatlh SuD chal 'e' vISov vIneH,> jatlh tlhIngan wejDIch.
"I want to know that why is the sky blue?," says the third Klingon.

<Holmaj 'IH Dalo'Ha',> jatlh tlhIngan wa'DIch. <bImevbe'chugh vaj qaHoH.>
"You are misusing our beautiful language," says the first Klingon. "If you
do not stop, then I will kill you."

<Hol vIlo'chu'!> jang tlhIngan wejDIch.
"I am using the language perfectly!" replies the third Klingon.

<qatlh SuD chal 'e' vISov neH vIneH!>
"I just want to know that why is the sky blue?!"

<toH!> jach tlhIngan wa'DIch. <bIHegh 'e' Dawuqpu'!>
"So!" exclaims the third Klingon. "You have decided to die!"

qutluch lo'taHvIS, tlhIngan wejDIch HoH.
He kills the third Klingon with a qutluch.

<wejpuH!> jatlh tlhIngan cha'DIch. <'ach bIlughbej'a'?>
"Charming!" says the second Klingon. "But are you sure that you are
right?"

Heghpu'bogh porgh bej tlhIngan wa'DIch, 'ej Hagh.
The first Klingon looks at the dead body, and laughs.

<jIlughqu', 'ej meq DaSov,> jatlh tlhIngan wa'DIch.
"I _am_ right, and you know why," says the first Klingon.

<reH lugh charghwI'!!!>
"The victor is always right!!!"

Questions:

The addendum to TKD gives <jatlh> as "to say", but in KGT (p.30), MO
tells us not to confuse the different verbs of saying, and gives <ja'> as
"to say", and <jatlh> as "to speak". So am I right to use <jatlh> here, or
not?

Can one just call the Klingons <wa'DIch> and <wejDIch> after they have
been introduced, with the word <tlhIngan> understood?

Which verbs can one use (without controversy) in place of <jatlh> when

Is there a way of saying "with a qutluch", without a separate clause?

How does one distinguish between the following?

he/she just knows	Sov neH
he/she wants to know	Sov neH

How can <wejpuH> be used "only ironically" (TKD p.57)? According to my
dictionary, irony is "use of words to mean the opposite of what is said",
i.e. with a meaning opposite to the normal one. So unless the normal
meaning of <wejpuH> is "charming" in the normal sense, its use in the
opposite sense can't be called ironic!

<bIlughbej'a'> seems to mean "is it certain that...?", rather than "are
_you_ certain that...?". Does this matter?

'olIva'

| Oliver PEREIRA  | [email protected]    ***VIVU ESPERANTO!***  |
| Selwyn College, | See the Cambridge Esperanto Group's web page at  |
| Cambridge       | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/etg10/keg/         |
| CB3 9DQ         | It's really good! (Because I didn't write it.)   |