tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 17 23:33:14 1997

Re: Letters (again)

<<   >How do you pronounce the ' and thank you for all your help

 >  {'} is pronounced exactly like {p}, but at the other end of the mouth.
:-)
 >  It sounds like a quiet cough.
 >
 >  It's an unvoiced glottal "stop", which means that a) the vocal cords
don't
 >  vibrate while saying it; b) it is made very far back in the throat, even
 >  farther back than {q}; and c) the flow of air is cut off completely for a
 >  moment then released with a sort of "puff".
 >
 >  -- ghunchu'wI'

 In the beginning while practicing Klingon pronunciation I always thought of
 letter which I didn't pronounce.
 say my name as if there were a "q" at the end but don't pronounce it :-)
 (I notice this sounds confusing, but it helped me!)
 muHwI' = *muHwIq* without the last letter (the last sound!). It's like when
 you want to say a word and then you just STOP saying it. say "look" and stop
 really short before the "k" sound. It will sound like {lu'}. If this is too
 confusing for anyone, forget it. I do it this way and it works!

 muHwI' >>

--------------peHruS here:

I follow the TKD explanation for pronouncing {'}.  At the beginning of a word
it is a small catch as in "uh-oh."  At the end of a word it is light
reverberation of the preceding vowel.  The example given is {je'} as if it
were {je'e}.  Let's remember that {De'} as if it were "De'e" and sounds very
much like "data" having lenited the "t".

Back to archive top level