tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 17 10:48:39 1997

Re: Klingon words for "subject" and "object"; ghunlu'wI'

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony.Appleyard <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Monday, November 17, 1997 5:59 AM
Subject: Klingon words for "subject" and "object"; ghunlu'wI'

>Whether each of {tlhInganpu' wIleghlu'} or Latin {Tlingani
>videmur} for "we Klingons are seen" is called a passive, or an active with
an
>impersonal subject and the agreement concords distorted, is a matter of
>definition and convention.

You cannot say "we Klingons" in Klingon.  You cannot say {maHagh
tlhInganpu'} for "We Klingons laugh."  It just don't work that way!  You'd
have to say {tlhIngan maH.  maHagh.}  "We are Klingons.  We laugh."

I, for one, do not find this lack to be in any way troublesome.

So, you could say {tlhInganpu' luleghlu'} "Klingons are seen"/"someone sees
Klingons," or {wIleghlu'} "we are seen"/"someone sees us," but you cannot
combine the two.

tlhIngan maH.  wIleghlu'.

And I don't call it passive OR active.  I call it a verb with {-lu'}.

SuStel
Stardate 97879.5

Back to archive top level