tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 17 03:11:12 1997

Re: Time to call the {ghoS}tbusters?

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony.Appleyard <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Monday, November 17, 1997 5:48 AM
Subject: Time to call the {ghoS}tbusters?

>  We need different words for "go to" and "go towards" and "go along".

No, we don't.

> I don't trust context to sort out all ambiguities.

Have faith.  If your context isn't clear, it's the fault of your writing,
not of Klingon.  And instead of pointing out what you think of as
deficiencies in the language, you should focus on finding a more Klingon way
of saying it.  I happen to like the verb {ghoS} a lot -- when it's used
properly.  Too often people automatically use it what {-Daq} before it, and
that's not its most useful sense, though it's not wrong.  It's such a cool
verb!  It can be as vague or as specific as you want!

He vIghoSlI'.
I'm proceeding on course.

veng vIghoSpu'
I had been heading toward the city.

nughoS 'avwI' 'ar?
How many guards are coming?

ghoStaH vIHwI' Qa'Hom.  ghoStaH, ghoStaH, ghoStaH . . .
(Sorry, I had to do that.)

It's only with the "go away from" sense that one might need to clarify with
{-vo'}:

yuQvo' ghoStaH Duj
The ship is heading away from the planet.

There's also {jaH}.  I tend to see {ghoS} as having much more of a sense of
travel, and {jaH} being much more basic: arriving at a destination, never
mind the course taken.

juHDaq jIjaH.
I go home.

juH vIghoS.
I head towards home.

juH vIghoSta'.
I got home.  (I completed heading towards home.)

You can't play all of the fun games with {jaH} that you can with {ghoS}.

Perhaps this is why I would not like to see something like {pa'lIjDaq
yIghoS} or {pa'lIj yIghoS}.  Who cares about the route taken?  Who cares
about the actual movement towards the destination?  The point is to get the
commandee to his room.  {pa'lIjDaq yIjaH}.

SuStel
Stardate 97879.4

Back to archive top level