tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 16 14:26:44 1997

DOW (was Re: KLBC introducing myself) (fwd)

Alan Anderson schrieb:
> ja' muHwI':
> >{rIvSo'} is in German the same word as {QIn}!!!
>
> The German translation of TKD -- "Das offizielle W�rterbuch" -- seems
> to be lacking in precision and detail.  It gives {rIvSo'} as "Botschaft"
> with no further explanation.
>
> I don't know German, so I can't do a real critique of it.  However, a
> brief glance at DOW's addendum shows "Oberkommando" translated variously
> as {la'quv}, {ra'ghomquv}, and {yejquv}.  (The original TKD gives these
> as "High Commander", "High Command", and "High Council", respectively.)
>
> Strangely, DOW fails to identify most words as nouns or verbs.  It does
> specify adverbials and numbers, though {wejpuH} is labeled as (Num.) :-/
>
> I found enough apparent vocabulary problems and recognizable typographical
> errors, minor and major, to make me distrust it completely. :-(
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

Well, thanks for telling me.
If I had known of these lacks, I would have bought the original English edition
of TKD...even though, in some cases, I would have to use two dictionaries to
translate a German word into tlhIngan Hol. :)

HovqIj

Back to archive top level