tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 14 07:11:41 1997

ghunlu'wI'

In writing about the recent word processor program mishandling of apostrophes
and subsequent emailer mishandling of high-order characters, I was again stuck
when I wanted a reasonably short word or expression for `computer program'.
Here **{ghunlu'wI'} wanted to be used, but, as before, was `bounced out by the
guards'. {-lu'} is described as an impersonal subject, not a passive-voice
marker; but according to TKD what looks to me like some element of treating
{-lu} as a passive voice marker has already got into the syntax, e.g.:-
    Dalegh                   you see it
    Daleghlu'  one sees you, you are seen

Back to archive top level