tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 13 03:17:56 1997

Re: where do verb suffixes go in comparative clauses?

  Anthony.Appleyard wrote:-
>   "Korax is fatter than Koloth" is {qoreQ pI' law' qolotlh pI' puS}, as is
> well known. But what if the sentence needs a verb-suffix?
>   "Korax seems to be fatter than Koloth" seems to be {qoreQ pI' law' qolotlh
> pI' puS} plus a {-law'} = "apparently" suffix with nowhere obvious to go.
  Someone accepted {qoreQ pI'law' law' qolotlh pI'law' puS} or similar, but in
"In my herd, kill and clean the male targh which is fattest" rejected a
relative clause e.g. {... targh'e' pI'bogh law' Hoch pI'bogh puS ...} or {...
targh'e' pI' law'bogh Hoch pI' puSbogh ...}, as "-bogh changes the whole
aspect of the verb, which -law' does not".
  But I do not see that -bogh on the verb changes anything's aspect WITHIN the
clause: it merely says that the whole clause can be treated as a noun, namely
an equivalent of whichever noun inside the clause is marked with -'e'.
  And: If this is accepted, is the suffix in the second half of the comparison
necessary?
  {beq'e' pI' law'bogh qolotlh pI' puS}  the crewman who is fatter than Koloth
  {qolotlh pI' law' beq'e' pI' puSbogh}  the crewman who Koloth is fatter than

Back to archive top level