tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 12 20:43:02 1997

Re: gh

ghItlh DrkShdwX:

>what are some tips for gh

If you have <H> down (like in Chanukkah and loch) then by adding vocal chord
vibration, you have a pretty close approximation of <gh>. Compare English
\k\ and \g\. The Klingon <H> and <gh> have pretty much the same
relationship. The \k\ and <H> are voiceless and a little sharper-sounding
than their voiced counterparts.

I have needed to practice those a lot. But now it's second nature.

Also, initial <gh>'s were tough at first, because I'd tend to say <H>
a little harder than <tlh> actually!

BTW - someone asked if <tlh> is voiceless - I can't find who right now. I
tend to pronounce 'popocapepetl' (sp?) with a last syllable like \-tuhl\
(with that \uh\ representing the 'schwa' sound). In other words, voiced. But
<tlh> is not only unvoiced (whispered voicelessly), but is more explosive
than modern American English \tl\ pronunciation (whispered forcefully, but
still voicelessly). Of course, the proper 'tl' sound in Aztec et al is also
unvoiced.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level