tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 12 19:42:22 1997

Re: 3 loads of garbage...

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997 21:03:40 -0800 (PST) Neal Schermerhorn
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ghItlh Anthony Appleyard:
>
> >> Without making two sentences of it, is there any way agreed yet of saying
> >> e.g. "I had to take 3 loads of garbage out of the ship in which you
> fled."?
>
> ghItlh SuStel:
>
> >No there isn't.
>
> In this case it's possible. A little confusing, but possible.
>
> <wejlogh bIHaw'meH Dujvo' Dalo'ta'bogh veQ vIteqnIS>

Close, but I don't think it works:

Three times, from the in-order-that-you-flee ship, ... This is
where it falls apart. A noun with {-vo'} on it cannot act as
object of a verb. It is a locative. Locatives are locatives, not
objects. Since {Dujvo'} is a locative, it can't be object of
{Dalo'ta'bogh}, so {Dalo'ta'bogh} immediately becomes a headless
relative clause and the sentence turns to mush.

Besides, what exactly is a "load" of garbage? Enough to fill a
shuttlecraft? A trash bag? A pickup truck?

> Qermaq

charghwI'

Back to archive top level