tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 12 12:02:39 1997

Re: Letters (again)

According to [email protected]:

> How do you pronounce the ' and thank you for all your help

As an English speaker, the one most obvious place one
pronounces the ' (glottal stop) is in the middle of the sound
one makes (besides "oops") when one makes a mistake:

uh-oh.

The hyphen is the glottal stop in that "word".

We make that sound in other places, too, like in Hawaii. We
pronounce a glottal stop between the two "i"s. We say something
like,"ha-wah-ee". The glottal stop divides the last two
syllables.

If you say:

The "e" in "step" is short.

Then you probably put a glottal stop between the word "The" and
the word "e".

Is is starting to make sense?

So, if you say "uh-oh" and then drop the second syllable, but
don't lengthen the first one, you just ended a syllable with a
glottal stop.

I hope this helps.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level