tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 11 20:15:29 1997

RE: indirect questions (was: Re: plans)

[email protected] on behalf of Anthony.Appleyard wrote:
>     Would this work?:-
>   I know who ate the chocolate: yuch Soppu'bogh ghaH'e' vIngu'laH
>   I know the child who ate the chocolate: yuch Soppu'bogh puq'e' vIngu'laH

maj.

>   I asked Worf who ate the chocolate:
>       yuch Soppu'bogh ghaH'e' ngu' 'e' wo'rIv vItlhob

You've got a double object for {tlhob}, and as a verb of saying, {tlhob}
doesn't use {'e'} anyway.  The quotation associated with a verb of saying is
not the object of that verb.

yuch Soppu' 'Iv? wo'rIv vItlhob

or

wo'rIv vItlhob yuch Soppu' 'Iv?

If you *really* wanted to use {'e'} with {tlhob} (we see this done in KGT
p.184) you'd have to say

yuch Soppu'bogh nov'e' ngu' wo'rIv 'e' vItlhob
I asked Worf to identify the person who ate the chocolate.
Literally, "I request that Worf identify the person who has eaten the
chocolate."

SuStel
Stardate 97863.8

Back to archive top level