tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 11 08:14:31 1997

Re: Letter Pronuciation

ghItlh DrkShdwX:

>This is very difficult for me and the sounds at the KLI are not proving
>useful for the tougher ones
>Does anyone have any advice for the sounds

>tlh

Here's how I approach these. You will certainly get responses from other
people too. Choose the method that gives you the best results.

First, <H> and <Q>. Let's go back to <q>, which is a lot like \k\, but while
\k\ impacts the palate (roof) of the mouth, <q> impacts the uvula - the
dangly thing in the back. (I find <q> to be a surprisingly gaentle sound!)
<Q> is, according to TKD p. 15, an overdone Klingon <q>. It's just like the
difference between saying \p\ and making a flatulent sound \pppppp\. <q> and
<qqqqqq>(=<Q>).

<H> - a lot like English \k\, but with that same friction. \k\ and
\kkkkkk\(=<H>).

BTW, <gh> is like this too. \g\ and \gggggg\(=<gh>).

Now <tlh> - in English we say \tl\ in places like 'hot lava' - (give a good
\t\!) - but Klingon <tlh> is a little different. The tip of the tongue
doesn't move. Rather, the sides of the tongue do - a sharp whispered
\l\-like burst of air escapes abruptly. What works for me is practicing it
as the first sound in <tlhIngan> - remember, Humans mistook this sound for
\kl\, so think that type of sound while pronouncing <tlh>. It feels very
different to me at the end of words like <batlh> but it's exactly the same.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level