tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 09 14:02:37 1997

Re: ST:EXP Transmission

At 01:00 PM 11/9/97 -0800, charghwI' wrote:
>charghwI'vo':
>
>Let's please not assume this is canon before we get some sort of
>confirmation. There is a lot of really weird stuff here, and we
>have in the past gotten all worked up over a translation a
>couple people were really sure was done by Okrand only to have
>one of our own members sheepishly confess that he had done the
>translation himself, making more than a few significant errors
>and presumptive leaps into new grammatical constructions.
>
>If Okrand wrote this, I will wince and accept it, but it does
>not look like Okrand to me.

I won't dispute your analysis of the errors and oddities in this text;
I didn't look closely enough at it when I agreed it seemed Okrandian.
I guess I was fooled because it is really several cuts above the stuff
that the Paramount hacks usually turn out.

But, I do want to point out one thing:

>> tera' poH jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch, DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh:
>
>I don't think Okrand has made any translations for days of the
>week. I'd be very surprised if he began with something as
>confusing as {jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch} for "Sunday,
>January 4th". I would have expected him to drop the reference to
>"Sunday" altogether, since it is a confusing and redundant
>reference to the same date in a different reference frame with
>no explanation for the days-of-the-week reference. The
>hyphenation of the date digits is also... unique.

As far back as _HolQeD_ of 12/94, the year dates on the Skybox cards
were given in just this format.

-- ter'eS

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/2711

Back to archive top level