tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 09 12:35:21 1997

Re: ST:EXP Transmission

charghwI'vo':

Let's please not assume this is canon before we get some sort of
confirmation. There is a lot of really weird stuff here, and we
have in the past gotten all worked up over a translation a
couple people were really sure was done by Okrand only to have
one of our own members sheepishly confess that he had done the
translation himself, making more than a few significant errors
and presumptive leaps into new grammatical constructions.

If Okrand wrote this, I will wince and accept it, but it does
not look like Okrand to me.

On Fri, 7 Nov 1997 13:35:41 -0800 (PST) Klingon Ambassador
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I am forwarding to this list a transcript of a communiqu� sent by the
> people of the Las Vegas Hilton's Star Trek: The Experience (tm).  They
> have sent this to all Trek enthusiasts who registered for email updates.
> The text appears in both Federation Standard (English) and tlhIngan Hol
> (Klingon).  The communiqu� transcript follows:
>
> /\/\/\/\/\/\BEGIN TRANSCRIPT/\/\/\/\/\/\
>
> > INCOMING KLINGON TRANSMISSION
>
> **** tlhIngan De' ****
>
> tera' poH jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch, DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh:

I don't think Okrand has made any translations for days of the
week. I'd be very surprised if he began with something as
confusing as {jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch} for "Sunday,
January 4th". I would have expected him to drop the reference to
"Sunday" altogether, since it is a confusing and redundant
reference to the same date in a different reference frame with
no explanation for the days-of-the-week reference. The
hyphenation of the date digits is also... unique.

> HovpoHvetlh latlh nab yIHutlh.

My, what an unusual use of {Hutlh}.

> laS veghaS HIltonDaq Hov leng: yIjeSchu' qaSchoHmo', bIlopqu'meH HIlton
> yIghoS.

I'm surprised Okrand would have written this addressing second
person singular instead of plural. I would expect a less
experienced writer to do this, however. If this is canon, I want
to know about it, since I very much prefer {qaSchoHmo'
yIjeSchu'} over {yIjeSchu' qaSchoHmo'}. We have no other
examples so far of {-mo'} being used in a clause following the
main clause and TKD does not address whether this is acceptable
or not. We know that {-mo'} on a noun must preceed the main
clause and we know that the verb suffix is closely related to
the noun suffix.

> tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bIyIn jeSlaHpa' Hoch.

How interesting. Perverse, even. The concept of a changing time
reference like this is difficult to do in Klingon, but this
seems like a VERY strange way to accomplish it. I'd have done
something more like:

SujeSDI' tera' vatlhDIS poH cha'maH loS qo'Hey boSuch.

I think that would have been much easier to understand and more
accurate to what is actually happening.

> DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'Daq Dajollu'.
>
> loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv.

Interesting. While you travel in space in the interior of a
shuttlecraft... Would one expect to travel in the EXterior of a
shuttlecraft? I would expect it to be enough to say
{lupDujHomDaq}. {lupDujHom qoDDaq} is unusual phrasing for
Okrand. Also, since shuttlecrafts usually travel through space,
{loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS} seems exceptionally
wordy. I'd have written {lupDujHom yIlIgh 'ej jaghmey tISuv!}

> quwargh tach Qe' je qoDDaq Hov leng Soj DatIv.

Note that {uw} is one of those letter combinations that never
happens in Klingon as the end of a syllable. That means that the
first syllable in this translitteration of Quark's name is
{qu-}, an open syllable. To show how unusual this is, I just did
a string search of my entire dictionary and other canon and
found two instances of the prefixed verb {luwuqmeH}. I don't
think Okrand wrote this. It is not a horrendous transliteration,
but I'd have a greater expectation of there to be a glottal stop
instead of an open first syllable.

It is also interesting that the English imperative was
translated into this declarative sentence, while the word {qoD}
was once again, unnecessarily included. Second person singular
continues to be the rage here.

> jolbogh ghom wa'DIch DamuvlaHmeH De' DaneHchugh, Se'vam yIjIHtaH.

Interesting that earlier, the person beamed was the object of
{jollu'}, while now they subject of {jolbogh}. If Okrand wrote
this, he was sloppy.

> **** STARFLEET TRANSLATION ****
>
> Save this Stardate: Sunday, January 4, 1998
>
> Come Celebrate the Grand Opening of Star Trek: The Experience(tm) at the
> Las Vegas Hilton.
>
> > Be the First to Journey to the 24th Century
>
> > Get Beamed Aboard the USS Enterprise
>
> > Battle Menacing Aliens in a Shuttlecraft Journey Through Space
>
> > Enjoy Star Trek Themed Food and Drink at Quark's Bar and Restaurant
>
> Stay tuned for information on how you can be among the first to beam
> aboard!
>
> > END TRANSMISSION
>
> www.startrekexp.com sends out regular updates and announcements about
> Star Trek: The Experience.
>
> /\/\/\/\/\/\END TRANSCRIPT/\/\/\/\/\/\
>
> Here are some of my notes and thoughts on this:
>
> laS veghaS = Las Vegas
> quwargh = Quark
> qoD = ??? / qoDDaq = ???

It means "inside, interior".

> (BTW, I don't have KGT yet, do these appear in KGT?)

Only {qoD}.

> I did not understand the Klingon beginning at first, but after comparing
> it to the English and consulting TKD, I got it; but I don't think I like
> it.  Is that the correct way to refer to a year?
> <wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh> instead of
> <wa'SaD Hutvatlh HutmaH chorgh>?

I certainly don't think the hyphens are normal and I'm not
certain we've seen this kind of year given in canon. We've had
references to centuries, but not specific years.

> All nit-picking aside, I enjoyed receiving this communiqu� as a Star
> Trek fan and as an enthusiast of tlhIngan Hol.  I think the inclusion of
> Klingon text in this newsletter update honors the Klingons fans and
> linguists, and shows that the warrior's tongue is alive and growing.

Fine, but please don't presume it is canon.

> Klingon Ambassador,
> *Dawut*
> [email protected]

pItlh.