tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 08 07:34:40 1997

RE: EXP Transmission

At 03:32 PM 11/7/97 -0800, Tad Stauffer wrote:
>   QInvam ngeHta' *Dawut*:
>
>>	Greetings.
>>
>>	I am forwarding to this list a transcript of a communiqu� sent
>>by the
>>	people of the Las Vegas Hilton's Star Trek: The Experience (tm).

[pe'...]

>This Klingon translation seems, at least to me, to be nearly perfect.
>Aside from the odd positioning of {laS veghaS HIltonDaq Hov leng:
>yIjeSchu'}, the feel of the text seems very Okrandish.  Using some new
>vocab (qoD, Hutlh) that isn't in TKD, the use of earth dates that is
>consistent with other canonical text, and the fact that the original
>English message hasn't been translated word-for-word suggests to me that
>Okrand wrote the Klingon text.

jIQochbe'chu'

>   Assuming this, we find that in the sentence {tera' vatlh DIS poH
>cha'maH loS bIyIn jeSlaHpa' Hoch} any time period apparently can act as
>an adverbial (i.e., not just {DaH}, {wa' ben}, {cha'leS}, etc.).
>Although I think we knew this already,

Yes, we've known this for a long time.

> it suggests that we don't need to
>use {qaStaHvIS} for time as much as I think we've been doing.  That is,
>rather than saying {qaStaHvIS wej rep, jIQong} we might be able to say
>just {wej rep jIQong}.

Except that {qaStaHvIS wej rep} isn't a time stamp but a duration; it
means '_for_ three hours', not '_at_'.  {qaStaHvIS} is exactly right in
this case.  To say I go to sleep _at 3 a.m._, you'd use the adverbial
timestamp form, as you note: {wejvatlh rep jIQong} 'At 03:00 hours I sleep'.

>The verb {qaS} might be used best when referring
>to events, as seen above in {laS veghaS HIltonDaq Hov leng: yIjeSchu'
>qaSchoHmo'}.  The only other canon that I know of that uses [{qaStaHvIS}
>+ a time period] is in {qaStaHvIS wa' ram, loS SaD Hugh SIjlaH qetbogh
>loD}, and in this case I look at {wa' ram} as focusing on the continuing
>passage of time, rather than on when the man slits the throats.

bIlughbej.  It means "during (the course of) one night'.  It seems clear
that timestamp ('time when') markers are simply time-related nouns placed
at the head of the sentence, while duration markers ('time during which')
need some sort of verb (not necessarily {qaS}, tho: {qaStaHvIS poH nI'} =
{nI'taHvIs poH}, I believe).

-- ter'eS

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/2711

Back to archive top level